Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Photog woes

I'm having a hard time with photographers. I originally thought I'd want someone I knew personally that had shot a lot of stuff for newspapers. However, I looked at some people's work that I was familiar with and decided that there wasn't enough "pretty." Then, I found this great photographer who was inexpensive and would give me a cd with all my images right away - unusual for wedding photographers. This is apparently a big deal in wedding photography - the photographer also makes money on making prints and albums and holds your photos hostage while they rake in more and more money. A friend of mine won't have rights to her own wedding photos for 10 years. Ten. Years. So I found a real gem, right? Well, this great photographer specializes in bright sunny photos and doesn't do as well in low-light, outdoor situations. She said she isn't experienced enough with flash and that flash tends to make people look like they're in a cave in these situations. So bummed. But I do appreciate her honesty. So, then I check out her recommendation of a colleague, and that photographer is way expensive and is one that makes you order prints from her. I didn't bother to find out how long she holds your photos hostage. And most recently, a friend recommended a photographer she considered for her own wedding - sounds great, but she's not available. :( Every photographer on the Knot seems to really into these black and white shots with only certain parts in color and other cheesy gimmicks like that. I do have a couple of friends of friends to check out...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried looking on Craigslist? That is how a friend found the priest for her wedding!